Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Southern Quintana Roo pt.2

Well continuing with my series of photos of southern Qroo, here are some shots I took at the Mayan archaeological site of Chacchoben (which in Maya jeans “the place of the red corn”). I did not see any red corn, but what I did see was some cool wildlife and ancient Mayan structures, so yea… it was great! It was also very cool that Aris and I were the only people roaming the site, and running around on your own at a place like this is an entirely awesome experience. The site is of medium size and dates to the classic period. Anyway here are the photos, hope you enjoy them.

Nice view of the surrounding rain forrest at the site

Trees growing over the steps to what was once a residential complex

Large pyramidal structure

Hello mr snake!

Poor Mr (or Mrs?) Snake, its looks like some jerk threw a rock (or bit you) on the head =(
But seriously don´t hurt snakes, its not cool

Section of stairway up to artificial platform...i wonder what we will find up there

Awsome! big pyramid! yay!

and another one! whoot!!!

I am not sure what kind of bird this is, will have to check my bird field guide (forgot it at home)

yet another pyramid! This stuff never gets old for me, I will never understand people who just see a bunch of rocks and claim that once you have seen one you have seen them all... eshhh

No comments: